I remember starting this!
I went for PC.
Hehe...after reading this report in PC world, I just "had" to revive this old thread again.
LET THE FLAME WARS BEGIN!! LOL!
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...49,pg,1,00.asp
I remember starting this!
I went for PC.
For those who don't want to go through reading the entire article, here's the nitty gritty.
From PC WORLD:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actualy that's not entirely true, as the Polystation two rendered a 50 meg image in 17 seconds, beating the dual G5 by ONE Big second!..LOL!Apple touts its new 64-bit Power Mac G5 as the world's fastest personal computer, but our initial tests indicate bragging rights may belong to PCs using AMD's Athlon 64 FX-51 chip.
Even Apple's 2-GHz dual-CPU G5 unit had a hard time keeping up with a single-chip FX-51 PC in most tests. (Tests were not exhaustive, however: Working with our sibling publication, Macworld, we selected four applications available on both platforms and then ran seven hand-timed tests. Our test suite, PC WorldBench 4, cannot run on Macs.) The new Macs aren't great values either, as the top-of-the-line G5 ($3549 as configured) costs about $200 more than the similarly configured Alienware Aurora. (Prices do not include a monitor or speakers.
The dual-G5 sparkled in one main area: our Photoshop test, which it completed in 18 seconds, or about 17 percent faster than the Aurora's 21 seconds. The 1.8-GHz single-chip G5 ($2999) trailed at 27 seconds.
Here's a link to the benchmarks:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...49,pg,8,00.asp
Fastist computer ever ...MY AS*!!
PS- I should say, I do like the Mac very much. Got a single G4 at work as well as Home.To bad Steve Jobs won't let me upgrade it with a new Board and chip. [img]frown.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 14, 2003 06:14 PM: Message edited by: seekaee ]</font>
s'funny, now I much prefer OS X to anything else. Quite funny re-reading my PC sided responses!
For some bizaar reason Machead is no more. I can't login I've tried solving this problem for a month now from a variety of different machines (All Mac's)but to no avale.
A quick copy and paste for you all
Apple's Q4 Financials are in! Apple reported profits almost double those of Wall Street estimates -- approximately 12 cents per share, a net profit of $44 Million. Not bad at all in this marketplace....and Apple's statements accompanying the results show they expect significant revenue increases in the new quarter.
seekaee, I heard the G-5 has been optimized for running Final Cut Pro-4. Saying it handles daily activites on par with the fastest PC's doesn't really address the area of video and audio capability, does it?
Yup, that's quite true Alex and will never
know either, because Apple would never allow it to run on anythingother then OS X.However, from looking at the benchmarks listed in the link above, I'm quite positive FCP would run just as fast--and probably even faster--if it was optimised to run either INTEL or AMD processors.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 21, 2003 03:35 PM: Message edited by: seekaee ]</font>
hey, if I edit my video on a super fast computer, does that mean my video will be the best thing people have ever seen?
cool!
Did we ever answer the original question as to what machine to go for?
I am using a SGI Octane with 1GB RAM, 300MHz R12K CPU, internal RAID and a analogue as well as digital serial video breakout box and a Wacom graphics tablet. I am also using a PC for capturing DV (pain in the a r s e on SGIs) and have used Macs and Linux. Now then:
If you want to get on with doing some creative work and have a bit of money to burn get a Mac. Really pleasant machines and they get the job usually done quicker than a PC because of the ease of use. No good for 3D, though.
If you're a bit on a budget and don't mind putting up with the odd niggles get a PC. Also much bigger pool of commercial, free and pirated creative software.
If you're totally skint and very adventurous get Linux. Start with Knoppix, a Linux that boots from CD and won't touch your harddisk and then use Jahshaka or Cinelerra for compositing, Gimp for imaging, and Blender or Equinox for 3D. Links:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-old.html
http://www.jahshaka.com/
http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
http://www.gimp.org/
http://www.blender.org/
http://www.equinox3d.com/
If you moving hundreds of GB of data around in realtime, would lose ??? for even a short downtime and have a huge volume of material to enhance, grade and finish get an SGI. Prices are a bit steep (a CPU upgrade for my Octane is more than a G5 and FCP together, and proper editing starts at ?2.500.- for Eddie) but you get rewarded with a phenomenal data throughput, realtime playback of uncompressed video no matter the size and virtually no downtime. In the four years I have been using SGI equipment not once did Irix (their OS) crash on me. Besides, there are some cracks and high-end editing software floating around on Usenet and on the eDonkey-network.
As for the silly discussion regarding mice - get a Wacom tablet. Beats the pants off any other input device imho.
Bookmarks